NAME: OGEH- IWENJIVWE FRED (DIRECTOR SOCIAL WELFARE DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT)
ADDRESS: MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS, COMMUNITY & SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT ASABA DELTA STATE (NIGERIA
PHONE NUMBERS: 08109952478…08073831849
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Social Welfare Department is designed to render Social Welfare Services to the well being of individuals, groups or society by ensuring that social problems are reduced to the barest minimum. The achievements of the department are as follows. However, it is important to mention that each Local Government of the State has a Social Welfare Office where marital and other social problems are solved.
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The functions of the department include;
- Settlement of matrimonial cases
- Care for the elderly in the State
- Registration/Supervision of old people’s home
- Registration of churches as a place to celebrate marriage
- Prison Welfare services
- Rendering of recreation services for the elderly
- Registration of social clubs
- Cash transfer programme for the vulnerable/less privileged
FUNCTIONS NOT PERFORMED
It is the responsibility of this Ministry to carry out such functions as giving permits to money lenders to operate as well as issuing licenses to liquor sellers. However, these functions which should be money generating avenues for Government are not been carried out presently.
As for liquor licensing, all machineries were put in place for its implementation but nothing came out of it. Infact in 2014, the Ministry issued letters to all Local Government chairmen across the state to stop issuing liquor licenses and they obeyed since it is our function but because we could not carry out this money generating function, many local governments started carrying out the function.
- Inadequate budgetary provision for numerous programmes, activities and projects;
- The absence of utility vehicles for monitoring and supervision of all
- Shortage of professional staff;
- Inadequate accommodation for offices.
- Lack of provision to enhance implementation of liquor licensing/Money lending.