NAME: OKOCHA PETER A. (DIRECTOR REHABILITATION DEPARTMENT)
ADDRESS: MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS, COMMUNITY & SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT ASABA DELTA STATE (NIGERIA
PHONE NUMBERS: 08037433976
EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
The Department of rehabilitation is one of the eight departments in the Ministry of Women Affairs, Community and Social Development and charged with the responsibility of issues that has to do with the welfare of persons with disabilities in the State
The main objective of the Department is to create public awareness on the plight of PWDs and to design programme that would enhance their wellbeing to enable them to be useful to themselves, their families and the society.
THE FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
The functions of the department include;
- The maintenance/supervision of Ex-pals in the eight re-settlements centres across the state.
- The Evacuation, confinement and treatment of mentally ill destitute in 7 Government approved centres across the State.
- Purchase and distribution of various types of mobility Aids and appliances to needy challenged persons across the State.
- Supervision of the Vocational school for the handicapped Asaba.
- Yearly sponsorship of blind PWDs to the Federal Farm Craft Centre for the blind for training in craft.
- Join the Global Community on 3rd December every year in the Celebration of the International Day of PWDs in line with United Nations Resolution 47/93 of October 1992.
- Supervision of the activities of the State Steering Committee on PWDs, the Joint National Association of PWDs (JONAPWDS) and their various cluster associations.
- Organization of Annual State Luncheon in honour of PWDs in the State.
- Collaboration with State Job creation Office in the training and empowerment of PWDs in the State.
- Supervision of Transit Home for PWDs
- Care and rehabilitation of PWDs through empowerment of those with relevant skills.
- Liaising with relevant NGOs and multi-National companies like Chevron Nigeria Limited NNPC Joint Venture in securing annual scholarship programme for PWDs in higher institutions and Agip Oil company limited with annual supply of gift items to PWDs in the State.