BRIEF ON COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Community Development Department of the Ministry of Women Affairs, Community and Social Development is the Government instruments for mobilizing grassroot support for service delivery and successful implementation of Government policies and programmes in Delta State.
The activities of the Department are carried out through the following units:
- Self-help and field operation Unit: This unit has to do with activities going on in the Communities as it relates to projects being carried out by the communities themselves based on their felt-need. In the Local Government Areas, there are field officers who go about sensitizing Communities on the need to embark on projects without waiting for the Government, since Government alone cannot provide all their needs.
- Non Governmental Organization:- This is another function of the department it has to do with the registration of non-governmental organization who provides humanitarian services to the less privilege in the society ranging from health, capacity building, orphanages etc. This registration gives the NGO backing to operate legally in the state and also to check their activities.
- Training Unit:- The Department carries out this function through three sub-units:-
* Daycare Centre/Nursery Schools:- these centres are established in the communities to provide child care services for mothers while at work, farm or market place, where professionals will take care of these children. These centres are community driven, self-sustaining and based on Government/Community partnership
* Registration of private Nursery School in the state is also a function of this department.
* Centre for Social Development Studies, Otorho Abraka Ethiope East Local Government Area, this centre was established as an Educational Institution by Delta State Government, and the objective of this centre is to provide professional Middle-Level man-power training for the citizens of the State and beyond in the field of Community/Social Development Studies and Public Administration at Diploma Level. The School is affiliated to the University of Benin who oversees the academic activities in the centre and issues certificate to graduates.
* Citizenship and leadership Training Centre, Ewulu:- This Centre is situated at Ewulu in Aniocha South Local Government Area of
Delta State. The Institution has a statutory function of training leaders in stress management, self discipline to enable them take decision at critical times.
Achievements Of The Department
* Over 300 Community Development Association (CDDS) have been registered state-wide.
* More than 170 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) have been duly registered.
* Over 100 Day-care Centres, Creche and Nursery Schools have equally been registered across the State.
* Over 250 students has graduated from the Centre for Social Development Studies, Otorho-Abraka since its inception in 2001.
Name: Juliana Eyione-Ireyefoju
Position: Director Community Development Department
Address: Ministry of Women Affairs, Community and Social